Romanesque art in Como
Basilica di Sant'Abbondio is a great example of Como Romanesque. It is located outside the town walls, at the side of Monte Croce, along via Regina, in an area that has always been of great importance for churches and necropolis.
In the 9th century, the church was dedicated to Sant'Abbondio, former bishop of Como, buried here since the 5th century. In 1010 bishop Alberico send here a community of Benedictine monks who started reconstructing the church. Previous paleochristian building was torn down and a new Romanesque church was built and consecrated by Urbano II in 1095.
In the following two centuries many important modifications were carried out. After 1968, the cloister next to the church was acquired by Como municipality and restored. Nowadays, the law department of University of Insubria is located here.
Via Regina Teodolinda 35
Mobile: +39 348 9008135
More details (in Italian)
Every day 8am to 6pm (winter 8am to 4.30pm)