The beautiful Como Cathedral
It took around 400 years to built the Como Cathedral, "il Duomo di Como". The construction started in 1396, on the site of an another church, both churches are dedicated to Santa Maria Assunta, and it finished in the first half of the 18th century when architect Filippo Juvarra built the cupola. The façade is one of the most important examples of Late Gothic in Northern Italy. It was built between 1455 and 1486 and enriched with sculptures, such as the one of Plinio il Giovane and Plinio il Vecchio, by artisans belonging to Giovanni Rodari's atelier.
Phone: +39 031 3312275
More details (in Italian)
The cathedral is open to tourists weekdays 10.30am to 5pm, holidays 1pm to 4.30pm.
Summer special opening: Saturdays (only in the month of July), night opening from 9pm to 11pm.